8.18.2011

KOMUNITAS HONG

Last Saturday, I went to a TEDx Jakarta event: always so eye-opening and just a breath of fresh air to see speakers talking about their passion, their work, their interest.

Among one of the speakers was a guy called Zaini Alif, a traditional games expert, who blew me away with his center for traditional games (pusat kajian mainan anak) called Komunitas Hong. I couldn't believe my ears: there was actually a place where traditional indonesian games was being preserved! I love that! I can't wait to take Amal there. Did you know that there are about 250 traditional games in West Java alone? That's amazing. Apparently, Indonesia beats other countries with the most traditional games. And I completely agree with him when he said that it's through these games that children learn about leadership, social structure, honesty, etc. Once TEDx Jakarta has put up his talk on their website, I'll post it here for you to see :)

In the meantime, enjoy this video I found on YouTube:


Every weekend, Komunitas Hong opens up their doors to the public in their spacious playground situated in Dago Pakar, Bandung. If you, like me, are interested to go there on your next holiday, here's their address:
Komunitas Hong
Jl. Bukit Pakar Utara No. 35
Bandung
Tel: 022 2515 773