2.12.2012

BEST LOW-CALORIE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE


I have finally found my happiness in a guilt-free low-calorie very moist chocolate cupcake! Believe me, you will never have thought that this cupcake is low fat and low calorie because it's very chocolate-y and very moist.

Guess which ones I frosted and which ones Amal did? :)

Yesterday, I was spending time at home and asked Amal if he wanted us to bake something and as usual, the answer was: yes, chocolate cake! However, I've been thinking lately how much I've enjoyed the lovely huge kitchen at my parents' place and made way too many fattening cakes and that there must be some type of low-calorie chocolate cake out there.
So I googled and I got lucky cause I found this amazing recipe! The blog has a real easy step-by-step explanation of how to make the cupcakes (with photos), so I won't give you the full version. I highly recommend you go to the website but if you want to stay here, here's the recipe:

100 Calorie Moist Chocolate Cupcakes

makes 9

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup nonfat or lowfat dairy or nondairy
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup all purpose flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce* (use "apel malang" for this)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (I used 200 degrees, but it depends on your oven). Line a standard cup muffin tin with paper liners.

In a small bowl, stir together milk and vinegar **. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk flour, coca powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, applesauce and vanilla. Pour in the now curdled milk (tastes a bit like liquid yoghurt) and mix all ingredients well.

Stir in dry ingredients until just combined. The batter will be think and wet, similar to a runny pancake batter. Divide it evenly among the prepared muffin tin cups.
The recipe says to bake them for 18 minutes but mine took almost 45 minutes, but again, it depends on each oven. The cupcakes are cooked when you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.

Once the cupcakes are cool, top them with a frosting also found on the blog called Best Whipped Frosting. Trust me, it's one of the best frostings I've ever tasted! It's light and not too sweet. I used half the quantities of the recipe for my 9 cupcakes and still have some leftover for next time.

* to make applesauce, just cut apple into small pieces, put in a pan with a little bit of water until apples are cooked and can be easily crushed.
** if you like, you could actually just buy liquid plain yoghurt.


The most amazing part: no oil, no butter, no eggs!!